Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

New job=Less time but more $$

A few months ago, I came to the realization that I needed to be making more money. I knew I didn't want to take on anymore group fitness or dance classes, so I decided to go back into Massage Therapy :) I haven't had the best luck the past few months finding somewhere that would work with scheduling me around my already   lets call it INTERESTING schedule. I didn't want to be giving up my classes to take on a part time job, and there's no way I want to do massage full-time, having to give up teaching for the most part. Both jobs are very physically demanding, but in different ways. There's almost no talking during a massage, where as I talk 95% of the time I'm teaching a dance/fitness class. 

Fun fact: When I first started teaching 16 dance classes/week at Aspire Academy, I lost my voice because I wasn't used to using it so much!

Needless to say, I was getting frustrated with all the dead-end interviews, or taking on a job that was on-call & NEVER getting booked. I had set up a website called "Find Touch" (I know, kind of a creepy name, but it's legit) which is a site where employers can search for therapists to ask them to apply for job openings, or you (yourself) can apply with your resume. I had used it to apply before, but had found nothing. Then one day, I received an email AND a phone call from them asking if I was interested in applying for their open position. I found out they're a member-based clinic (like Massage Envy) but pay better, and have some benefits offered for even PART-TIME employees :) I liked the way the job was sounding on the phone, so we scheduled an interview. After lots of talking and a practical on one of the owners, I was offered the position on the spot. I let them know the days/times I wanted to work, and that's currently when I'm scheduled.

I started last Wednesday, and in the 3 days (19 hrs) I've been there I've already had 10 massages. The owner actually APOLOGIZED for my only having 2 scheduled on my first day. Now, this is amazing for someone who used to work at high-end salon/spas where 10 massages was considered good if you were scheduled 5 or more days out of the week!! Working at my very last spa, I was scheduled 4 days per week, and was lucky if I saw 8 clients. I used to make 10 my GOAL!! 

I'm very happy that massage therapy is the primary focus of this establishment and that everyone (so far) is so nice to one another. Everything I need is provided, AND I'M MAKING MORE MONEY!! Always a plus :) The only thing about adding another job to my schedule, is I don't have as much time with Apollo as I used to...last week being the first time I've been away from him for over 10 hours some days! Luckily, Chase works .6 miles from where we live & comes home on his lunch break to let him out. I've dedicated Sunday's & Tuesday's to spending as much time with Apollo as I can, which he loves :) I think he'll get used to it...he seems to be doing fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment