Total Pageviews

Monday, April 23, 2012

Preliminaries

SOOOOOOO, as many of you know, the preliminary round for the Seattle Sea Gals was yesterday! I arrived 45 minutes early to Century Link Field, & quite a few girls were already there stretching/warming up, so I joined them. I recognized a handful of girls from last year- a little less than 200 auditioned at preliminaries last year, & this year was around 150. 


We didn't get started with registration until around 11:15am when we were supposed to start at 11am. Oh well, not a big deal. Registration took until right before 12pm. To get your audition number, there are small pieces of paper flipped upside down with numbers on the other side. Last year, I was #170-something. HOWEVER, THIS YEAR, I drew #8!!! I was SO EXCITED to be going in one of the first groups rather than having to wait forever, watching everyone & psyching myself out. 


My audition went off without a hitch & I was proud of the routine that I performed for the judges. I watched the other girls audition & was impressed by a few, but not many. Some girls were so bad, I thought, "Is this a joke?" One woman looked to be in her 40s-she wore a coin skirt-& looked like she was doing Zumba (badly). Kudos to her for having the courage to audition, but REALLY?!


2 hours (and a back-ache from sitting on the hard ground) later, those invited back to semi-finals were announced. All of my friends & I advanced to semi-finals!! We were so excited :) About 10 minutes after semi-finals were announced, we started learning the routine we will be performing next Sunday. It's 8-8 counts that repeats to the song "Starships" by Nicki Minaj. If you haven't heard that song, it's pretty awesome! I love dancing to music that I know and pumps me up, so luckily our routine this year is to a song that fits that description :) Last year it was to a song called "Hot Mess" that I had never heard before-NOT the one by Cobra Starship. 


The choreography isn't complex, it just seems difficult when done to the quick beat. I had one of my friends video me doing the choreography after we were done learning it so it was fresh in my mind & I would have something to go back & reference if I got stuck. After finishing the video, about 4 girls whipped out there phones & asked me to do it again. I know it's a competition and all, but I believe in Karma, so I repeated the routine for the ones that asked. I practiced the semi-finals routine a few times when I got home last night after I had gotten the correct cut of the music from the Sea Gals coach drop-box. 


Semi-Finals aren't until next Sunday (April 29th) at 1pm, but I'm already feeling confident about making it into Finals again this year :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment